Mood and anxiety disorders are common psychiatric conditions. With increased awareness, more people are seeking professional help. Yet, due to the huge service demand and limited resources in the public setting, the waiting time between follow-up consultations could be long. In view of this, the Psychology Department of the University of Hong Kong ha s designed a smartphone app – “proACT” – to assist psychologists in treatment delivery, especially between treatment session. We hope that “proACT” could enhance client engagement and facilitate the monitoring of treatment progress. Currently, we seek to evaluate the effectiveness of “proACT” and clients’ homework adherence. Treatment feasibility, usefulness, and patient and therapist satisfaction will also be assessed.
1. Three languages are provided in the application: 1) Traditional Chinese, 2) Simplified Chinese, and 3) English.
2. Individualized feedback from therapists can be sent to clients through push notification in smartphone.
3. A web-based platform is set up for therapists to access clients’ daily entries.
4. Record of mood, thoughts, activities and sleep.
5. Clients can record audio scripts for the mindfulness and relaxation exercises provided by therapists during treatment, and save for later practice use.
The aim of this study is to develop a smartphone application “proACT-S” as a self-help cognitive behavioural therapy for insomnia or depression (CBT-I/CBT-D) in Chinese language, and to conduct an open-trial to examine the feasibility, acceptability, and preliminary effectiveness of “proACT-S” in insomnia or depression sufferers.Website: ProACT-S
It is a disheartening sight to see modern day parents barely interact with their children. A healthy parent-child relationship is built on active contact and communication. However, we found that the lack of play is not intentional, it’s not that the parents don’t have time to play with their kids, it’s that they don’t know HOW. Therefore, we would like to develop a phone app that provides parents with a detailed database of games to play with their children. Games of different categories, for children of different ages will be included, with detailed information and instructions given for each game. We hope that with this app, parents will be encouraged to play with their children more often, strengthening the bonds between parents and child.